Friday, March 28, 2014

Obama and Affordable Care Act



             The health bill that everyone was fighting against has already passed and 6 million people have already signed up with 3 more days left in the enrollment period. When Pres. Obama was running for office he promised that there would be changes in current health care and he has done that by passing the Affordable Care Act. There is a lot of controversy about what the new Affordable Care Act brings to the table. The goals for the Affordable Care Act are to lower insurance rates, get more people covered and to get better coverage not to raise insurance rates for everyone so they cannot afford coverage. One of the biggest changes that the Affordable Care Act has had on the current health care is that people cannot be denied coverage for preexisting conditions. For example if a child was born with Asthma insurance company could deny the child health care because that is considered as a preexisting condition. In the United States there are more than 17.6 million children with preexisting conditions that can no longer be denied coverage. Another thing that Affordable Care Act has changed is that people do not have limits on their health care. Such as a person with a chronic illness like cancer cannot be denied coverage because they have reached a dollar limit set by their insurance company. I think that Pres. Obama has done what he promised when running for his presidency and the Affordable Care Act is a good thing that has happened to the health care system.

2 comments:

  1. In Kumar’s blog, Obama and Affordable Care Act, Kumar does an overall good job of explaining the benefits to the health care law passed last year and proving his credibility. However, there are flaws to this blog. He shows examples of the benefits to health care by talking about preexisting conditions not affecting your insurance but he doesn’t explain the effects of having a preexisting condition. Does having a preexisting condition affect the price you have to pay for insurance? Giving evidence or statistics would help build or lower his argument for health care. Another example is when Kumar talks about insurance rates going down but where is the proof that they have lowered since the health care law. The rates may have lowered but is the coverage you get the same for that lowered price as it was before at a higher rate. Showing the negative effects in terms of the overall benefits of the health care law would strengthen his argument overall. It also gives the reader more of an idea to what the health care law is and the effects.
    The author builds his credibility by writing on health care where a large number of people know what it is and does. Talking about Obama adds to your credibility because he is the President of the United States and has a credible background. By not using direct quotes or statistical information it lowers Kumar’s credibility. He could build his credibility more by expanding on his examples with information.
    Overall the blog is good, by using a popular topic and giving examples it helps make his argument. A stronger argument or a two sided argument would make it stronger. The credibility is established to an extent with some grammatical errors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the article, and I could have more information about Obama care. It called my attention because I was very confused about this insurance and I still have questions about it. It has good benefits, more people could be covered by an insurance, they don't have to worry about pay bill later if they got sick. But sometimes it could be worst I agree with my classmate, what about preexisting conditions? I had to go to the ER couple years ago and I had a surgery because I had a strong abdominal pain, i had as a result "appendicitis" I had insurance by my job. I was not worry because I just would have to pay the 20 % of my surgery. My surprise couple months later, my insurance did not pay anything of my bill, the reason of this was: " preexisting condition" how could appendicitis be a a preexisting condition? that happened 4 years ago in he year 2010. on January of this year I won my case, after sending faxes, letters from my doctor, sending my history of health of my whole life, and waiting 4 years to win my case. So it is vary sad for children that are fighting with illness since they born and a lot of Americans that need be seen by doctors to have a treatment to save their lives. Some people can pay for an insurance, anyways they have to pay for a fine if they didn't decide to get Obama Care insurance. If they cannot pay a low fee each month could they pay the fine next year? it is fair?

    ReplyDelete